The History of Beta Phi Sigma Zeta Chapter, Zeta Phi Beta Sorority, Inc.
In the fall of 1944, an article in the Future Outlook and the Norfolk Journal and Guide stated, “All graduate members of Zeta Phi Beta Sorority, Inc. in and around Greensboro, or if you are here on weekends, please write or call Mrs. Vashti S. Goodman, Lutheran College, Greensboro, NC.”
During the summer of 1945, the National Office was contacted and information for organizing a new chapter was given. On Saturday, November 24, 1945, Zeta Madge P. Harper, Southeastern Director, Zeta Edna Barnes, and Zeta Lillian Garvin met with area Zetas: Vashti Goodman, Ruth Dailey, Lucille Dean, Sallie Dale, Mary Johnson, Laura Burge, Willie King, and Odessa Harris at Lutheran College and Beta Phi Sigma Zeta Chapter became a reality.
In 1989, Beta Phi Sigma Zeta made history by becoming the first African American Greek Letter Sorority to purchase a sorority house in Guilford County. Through the years, Zeta Phi Beta Sorority, Inc. Beta Phi Sigma Zeta Chapter has upheld the sororities principles through the following programs: Stork’s Nest, Z-Hope, March of Dimes, Breast Cancer and Heart Health awareness, and Scholarship to name a few.